A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

financial advice

  • lolal8ne
  • lolal8ne's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
16 Mar 13 #384754 by lolal8ne
Topic started by lolal8ne
i am seperated from my husband now for 5 months due to domestic violence i left the marital home with our 11 year old son and im living at my parents house temporarily.He is living in the marital home and to begin with i continued to contribute to the mortgage and debts etc but got sdvice and for the last 2 months i have only paid half the mortgage and loan that we have together. He has paid no maintenance payments and has put no money in the account since january but has took money out there fore we were £350 to going over our overdraft limit so i have gone in the bank today and put a freeze on the accountwhich now means nothing can go out but only money can be put in which he has refused to do all direct debits have now been cancelled. The advice i need is what do i now do about the mortgage and loan payments that we have together obviously i dont want to have to pay them fully myself, i cant afford this option anywaybut how do i stop these defaulting causing us more debt and the house getting repossesd plus it anoyys me that he is living in a 3 bed house on his own that he is not even paying for any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Mar 13 #384784 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
The thing to do is to press on with a financial settlement either by mutual agreement or through the courts as quickly as possible. It is cheaper and quicker if you can reach agreement between yourselves perhaps with the help of a mediator, but you are both liable to pay the whole amount of joint debts and there is nothing you can do to prevent the property being repossessed and your credit rating being affected if you fall into arrears. :(

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11