A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

His debt but in my name and he''s due inheritance!

  • fivebyfive13
  • fivebyfive13's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
28 May 13 #395023 by fivebyfive13
Topic started by fivebyfive13
Hi everyone, this is so new to me but I''d love if someone could give me an idea
Basically, I had approx £7k outstanding on cc''s and my husband got into approx £40k worth of debt without me knowing. Stupidly I took out a £25k loan to help him what did he do - same again ! This time I couldn''t help and he got an iva which helped him massively. However I still have the loan. He''s got 2 yes left on iva. His mum & dad are very well off but refuse to give him money for debts as they are dead against. Also he had an elderly aunt who is dying and he''s left a property in her will ( I no that''s awful way to think I feel disgusted but I have to be logical )

The thing is he''s run up all this debt and a lot was in my name so I''m limbered with a loan if £509 per month - when his iva finishes that''s it he''s free! If I walk away now I can''t afford to repay debt and as I work in a bank I can''t have bad debt or do iva or the likes so I''d lose my career. Also I can''t prove it was his debt as a lot was in my name!!
Is there anything a solicitor could do to make him repay that loan either monthly or in full ? You see we have no assets no property and no kids. We live with my mother

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

  • MH5
  • MH5's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
19 Jun 13 #397794 by MH5
Reply from MH5
Was this money transferred from your accounts to his? If so there should be a paper trail.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11