A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

how to prevent a secured loan on our home

  • biggeordie0
  • biggeordie0's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
14 Jul 13 #401013 by biggeordie0
Topic started by biggeordie0
I separated and my ex-partner has recently been asking for money.
I don''t have any but I suspect she is going to try to get a secured loan on our jointly owned house.
I know it requires both signatures but what if she forges my name?
I''ve read somewhere that a note can be added to the Land Registry to prevent this.
Is this true?
Is there anything else I can do?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Jul 13 #401024 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Needless to say, forging a signature is a criminal offence and the transaction would be void, but I seem to recollect that the Land Registry have some sort of scheme in place, the essence of which is that a registered proprietor is notified before any dealings with the property are registered.

Whether this is still so, I don''t know, but you will find the Land Registry pretty helpful. I wish all Government departments were this good.


  • MH5
  • MH5's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
24 Jul 13 #401988 by MH5
Reply from MH5

If you don''t still live in the property it might be a good idea to contact the land registry giving them your new contact address if you haven''t done this already.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11