A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

stbx bankrupt without me knowing

  • dellou
  • dellou's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
21 Jul 15 #464424 by dellou
Topic started by dellou
Hi My husband was made bankrupt during our marriage without telling me until he was actually made bankrupt he was hoping I didnt find out until I couldnt acesss any of my accounts ( he hid all the letters), This stopped my business running and I was stopped from trading because of assosiation with him- would i be able to use this info on form E or wouldnt it be considered in the financial settlement> any advice greatfully receieved xx:(

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Jul 15 #464427 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
If your husband is bankrupt, his property vests in the trustee and is therefore not available to you.

If there is a marital home, it is usual for the sale to be delayed for twelve months, but it is very unlikely that it would be longer. If the property is in joint names your share should be unaffected by his bankruptcy.

It''s hard to say, not knowing your situation, what you could do. Normally I would be very reluctant to suggest that you bring conduct into the equation ; this is allowed only in esxceptional circumstances, and is therefore risky from your point of view.

Could you perhaps apply for benefits ?


  • dellou
  • dellou's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
21 Jul 15 #464429 by dellou
Reply from dellou
Hi Thanks for that advice, the property is in my name and I owned the property for 13 years before i married, My stbx had his home reposessed just before i met him, after 6 years of marriage he was imprisoned for attempting to kill me by strangulation is this worth mentioning or would this not be considered either? I am self representing and he has a solicitor so any advice is truly appreciated xx

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Jul 15 #464431 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
I am not a lawyer but I would expect being found guilty of attempting to kill you by strangulation is one of the few things that would count regarding contact. So yes, you should definitely mention it.

Best wishes,

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11