A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Divorce and IVA

  • yoda21
  • yoda21's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
21 Sep 16 #483877 by yoda21
Topic started by yoda21
I have done the divorce myself and am now able to apply for my Decree Absolute but have not yet reached a financial settlement with my husband, Should I go ahead and apply for the absolute or wait and get the financial agreement first ? My husband says he will come to an agreement between ourselves but nothing is happening, also I have just found out he is taking out an IVA we have a joint mortgage on a jointly owned property , I am not sure what to do next so any advice would be appreciated.

  • Stanlaw
  • Stanlaw's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
21 Sep 16 #483883 by Stanlaw
Reply from Stanlaw
If you ex has got pensions then you want to be his widow until you've got a final order and you would also want to be his widow if he had significant assets in his sole name though that doesn't seem to be the case here. Bottom line therefore is no problem is getting your DA unless he's got pensions!
If he's now getting an IVA you need to be pressing on with getting a settlement as the position with regard to the mortgage etc is likely to further deteriorate.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11