A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need legal advice on a fair financial settlement?

We offer a consultation with experienced family solicitor for a low fixed fee. You will receive legal advice and a written report outlining your legal position and setting out what a fair settlement would look like based on your individual circumstances.

Does partners salary count

  • BRM
  • BRM's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
04 Mar 08 #15705 by BRM
Topic started by BRM

Do I put my x2b's partners (they are cohabiting) salary in with hers on the calculator or is it not looked at that way in court?



  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Mar 08 #15762 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut
No you do not.

The court does not directly consider a new partner's salary.

If she continues to cohabit and the court sees it as a long and stable situation it will have the impact of reducing or negating any spousal maintenance due. But on the basis that her housing needs etc are met rather than any direct link to the partners salary.

child maintenance will still be payable.

So what you can do in the calc to take the situation into account is to enter her outgoings based on what she has to pay. i.e. if they split the rent 50:50 then enter her rent as only 50%, the same for utility bills.

The calc will then see that she needs less than you to live on and will adjust the output accordingly.

  • BRM
  • BRM's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
05 Mar 08 #15794 by BRM
Reply from BRM
Thanks for the help.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11