A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need legal advice on a fair financial settlement?

We offer a consultation with experienced family solicitor for a low fixed fee. You will receive legal advice and a written report outlining your legal position and setting out what a fair settlement would look like based on your individual circumstances.

fair expectations / kids maint'' / self employed...

  • Fifi100
  • Fifi100's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
16 May 12 #330917 by Fifi100
Topic started by Fifi100

I''ve used the Divorce Calculator so I have an approximate idea of what settlement might be agreed but I wondered what the score was with regards to the following please:

1. child maintenance: Kids are both under 5 at the moment -as they get older they will eat more, attend more clubs etc -does this get factored into CM arrangments?

2. Business: I relocated 100s of miles in 2002 with stbxh as he was setting up his own business -he is now successful but separated from his previous business partner whilst we have been not living together / but still married -obviously we always planned to enjoy the spoils together. I have supported him financially whilst he was setting up -would this be taken into account -can I push for it to be factored in?

3. FMH -he has stated that the house and contents is all to be handed to me. I cannot afford the mortgage alone -is there a way that he can remain on the mortgage / deeds but the house be contracted to me? I really don''t want to have to move as it would unsettle the children and me and would in all probability mean that I would be forced to relocate nearer to my family.

4. He has at present informally offered me £2,500.00 pcm and to pay off credit card debts of approx. 7K....

Is this fair?

FMH: £220K mort £169K
Car (me): £9K
Him wages: min £5K pcm (+expenses, dividends)
me wages: £520.00 pcm (+ child benefit £134.00 pcm)
Marriage: married 6 years together 10
Children: 2 under 5 -one at school one in private nursery when I am at work -childcare costs @£500-600pcm
Debt him: @£7K
Debt me: £7K (credit card that we both used -his credit was bad) & student loan £7K & £2K overdraft (again run up when business folded)
His business: one he has just left / split was worth £800K-1mil and he had 40% interest -he has recently started up on his own but with the staff he harvested from previous company so already bringing in revenue and all systems in place.

No pensions.
No savings -I ploughed all my savings @£45K into the house rennovations and the failed business (2008 not the one he has just split)... plus I put down 100% of the deposit for the FMH which we purchased in 2008.

I just want to make sure that I am getting what I am due -I know that sounds money grabbing but I really invested my whole self and all my finances into this relationship and do not want to be left scrimping and saving when I could have pushed for more.

Thanks - F

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.