A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need legal advice on a fair financial settlement?

We offer a consultation with experienced family solicitor for a low fixed fee. You will receive legal advice and a written report outlining your legal position and setting out what a fair settlement would look like based on your individual circumstances.

Married in USA with PreNup

  • UKGuy41
  • UKGuy41's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
11 Jun 12 #336029 by UKGuy41
Topic started by UKGuy41
I am British but if I married an American in the USA after signing a PreNup agreement would she be able to appeal to UK courts in order to get around the PreNup? What about if she became a UK citizen after marriage and was living with our kids in the UK?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Jun 12 #336031 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
My friend, one word of warning.

I am British and am married to an American citizen.

As you know, or will find out, divorce laws in the USA vary from state to state. If you are going to live there, you need to be aware of the need for medical insurance and secondly you need to be aware that in some states husbands can be liable for a wife''s medical debts.

But if she became a British citizen and was '' habitually resident '' in the UK she could Petition for the divorce in the English Courts ( or Scottish, as the case may be )

The current position in England and Wales is that prenups can be enforceable but not always. Your definitely need legal advice on this one.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11