A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need legal advice on a fair financial settlement?

We offer a consultation with experienced family solicitor for a low fixed fee. You will receive legal advice and a written report outlining your legal position and setting out what a fair settlement would look like based on your individual circumstances.

where to begin

  • Diddydi
  • Diddydi's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
19 Aug 12 #350584 by Diddydi
Reply from Diddydi
If I start divorce proceedings based on UB will have more privacy rights and could I change the locks.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Aug 12 #350611 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Well, if you divorce, you will certainly lead separate lives afterwards. That is precisely the reason why people get divorced.

But you do have to consider the question of where your husband will live if he is excluded. You may perhaps think that this is his problem, but the Courts do at least like to make sure that both parties have somewhere to live, or at least have sufficient resources to secure accommodation.

It''s possible that he may have to rent ; lots of ex husbands find themselves in that position. But the question of where he will leave is something you mjust consider, even if only because the Courts will.


  • Diddydi
  • Diddydi's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
20 Aug 12 #350852 by Diddydi
Reply from Diddydi
I originally offered to move out as he has the income and it would be less upheaval for the children but he didn''t want that as he likes to travel and has a lovely brand new 7 berth caravan and jeep and has secured a permanant pitch in Germany and is also looking at securing a pitch near me to give him a UK address. He also states I cannot claim any of his army pension as he was in receipt of this before we married - is this true. He''s also cleaned out our joint account and left me with all the bills, mortgage etc and told me to go and get a job. Easier said than done after 18 yrs of marriage. I just want to move on with my life now and don''t really know where to start. Have bben told I need to start divorce proceedings but they won''t be finalised before a financial settlement is reached but I really don''t know what I''m entitled to and what would be a fair settlement as he wants me to agree without going to court. Does this mean that the divorce could go on forever if nothing is agreed and what if he contests the divorce (on grounds of UB)? I do appreciate every piece of advice you give. So thankyou.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.