A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need legal advice on a fair financial settlement?

We offer a consultation with experienced family solicitor for a low fixed fee. You will receive legal advice and a written report outlining your legal position and setting out what a fair settlement would look like based on your individual circumstances.

Financial help please - 36yrs married

  • WillowWisp
  • WillowWisp's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
20 Aug 12 #350818 by WillowWisp
Topic started by WillowWisp
He left me on our 36th wedding Anniversary to live with a woman some 16yrs his junior (hes 63) Over the last 11 yrs he''s spent over 21k on his hobby whilst I saved for my retirement now he wants most of the savings plus half my statepension (I''m 62). What can I do to stop him having his cake and eat it?:unsure:

  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Aug 12 #350823 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
He can''t have half of your state pension and its a long marriage.

If you post up your financial details including mortgage if any, any debts, incomes, and children, assets in any name, current situation of co-habitation, current incomes, any dependents, any children that are dependent (including those that might have come out of a new relationship:blush: )it would help.

Welcome to the world of wiki as RubeTuesday said those that have suffered the betrayal of an adulterous stbx.

  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Aug 12 #350825 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
Also VERY important what are the savings and in whose name are they in - are they cashable? Do you know what they amount to?

Are you worried that they might dissapear?

It is important that if you have any say that you freeze any joint accounts of cash and freeze any joint liability for debt.

  • pixy
  • pixy's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Aug 12 #350829 by pixy
Reply from pixy
I''m not sure whether to be heartened or disheartened by learning of someone else married over 30 years, funding a husband''s hobby (in my case multiple expensive fads) and then being ditched for another woman.

Where are your savings - make sure they are in your own name and that he can''t get at them. They form part of the marital pot but you can always develop a hobby of your own and spend on it ...

As far as I know state pension can''t be shared. A woman can claim pension based on her husband''s NI contributions so presumably it works the other way round too.

  • livinginhope
  • livinginhope's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Aug 12 #350834 by livinginhope
Reply from livinginhope
As far as I know Basic State Pensions can''t be split but Secondary State pensions can ie SERPS
Unfortunately the fact that he has wasted money and you have been careful won''t be taken into account and your savings will be viewed as joint assets.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Aug 12 #350836 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
What is your husband''s reason for wanting most of your savings? If you are keeping the lion''s share of the equity there may be some justification in him having a larger junk of the savings but just because he wants something doesn''t mean he will necessarily get it.

The basic state pension can''t be shared but if you have any additional state pension itis taken into account as part of the overall divorce settlement. You can get the value of an additional state pension by sending form BR20 to the Pension Service.

  • amefbi
  • amefbi's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Aug 12 #350853 by amefbi
Reply from amefbi
Im in the same boat after 40yrs, its devastating. Worrying about our future at our age.

You will find support and advise on wiki. Im grateful I found this site 2mths ago.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.