A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need legal advice on a fair financial settlement?

We offer a consultation with experienced family solicitor for a low fixed fee. You will receive legal advice and a written report outlining your legal position and setting out what a fair settlement would look like based on your individual circumstances.


  • markp
  • markp's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
28 Sep 07 #4074 by markp
Topic started by markp
hi when i use the calculater it works out 60/40 share of assets in my favour but has me payiny my x2b maintance.

i believe i'm favoured as i will be the parent with care of our son, but cannot uderstand why it has me paying maintance.
My income is about 4x hers, but i was led to believe that since she is cohabiting no maintance would be paid by me.
The calculater does not seem to take this into account also since she is cohabiting i was also led to believe that although is income will not be directly involved it will mean that her needs will be lower and will effect how the spilt of assets is made.
Any comments would be most welcome.

  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Sep 07 #4080 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut
It is possible that you may have to pay her maintenance (even though you have your son) due to the income differential.

Her co-habiting is a factor...but a grey area. (Whereas her remarrying is more clear cut).

There is no option in the calc to declare that she is cohabiting....but...you can simulate these circumstances by
putting in lower figures for her needs/outgoings.
So if she is co-habiting with a bloke and does not contribute to the rent/mortgage or bills.....then you can put in zero for those elements of her outgoings.

This will reduce her 'need' and cause the calculator to reduce the maintenance payable.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11