A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need legal advice on a fair financial settlement?

We offer a consultation with experienced family solicitor for a low fixed fee. You will receive legal advice and a written report outlining your legal position and setting out what a fair settlement would look like based on your individual circumstances.

any idea on financial split

  • hidden
  • hidden's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
01 Jan 08 #9773 by hidden
Topic started by hidden
hi everyone lm getting divorced from my husband unreasonable behaviour we have been maried for 14 years got 4 kids ages 4,7,11,14 which i have all the time except every other weekend when he has the 2 boys the other 2 dont want to see him,the house is payed for which was my money because a couple of my family members died (i know that dosnt make any difference cause we are married) just wondering if anyone can tell me roughly what way the split would go.also on any split that he gets do i have to pay it straight away or can i wait till the youngest is 16

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Jan 08 #9794 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Since nobody has replied, I suppose I had better start the ball rolling.

The fact that you have children means that a Court has to look upon their welfare ( and therefore need for a home ) as a priority. So yes, there is a very definite possibility that the sale could be postponed until your youngest ceases to be dependent.

When this type of order is made. the sale will probably be deferred for a number of years and the Courts sometimes assume that your x2b will have found accommodation by the time the house has to be sold. The Courts will try to have a look at what your situation might be, and whether you are likely to be in a position to buy a home when you finally have to sell. It isn't inconceivable that your share could be more than 50% for this reason, and more rarely, the sale could be postponed even after the children grow up, but this type of order is not encountered all that often.

I am afraid that I do not have enough information to give you any more than general principles. Where is your husband living now and is this accommodation likely to be secure ?

Mike 100468

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11