A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Been told yes then no??

  • ExhidMoob
  • ExhidMoob's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
18 Mar 12 #318792 by ExhidMoob
Topic started by ExhidMoob
Hi all been given two different answers regarding legal aid and wondered if there were any of you on here had been in a similar position or could give an opinion/advice.

The case is child residence and divorce, there is no income and no savings. BUT, and this seems to be the sitcky wicket, the marital home is 50/50 on the deeds as is the mortgage.

One solictor says this doesnt count because the dispute is famaly and against the other partner in the property. Another says your half of the equity does count and so you can''t receive it!

So any ideas?! The problem is that its ok saying you have half the equity but you can''t use it for legal funds if your partner wont agree on secured finance on it for instance????? Seems totally unfair.

WOuld be more than happy to use the equity to pay for the case but how can you when your partner knows by saying no you cant get it freed up??!!!


  • hillary
  • hillary's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
18 Mar 12 #318849 by hillary
Reply from hillary
i was in a similar situation i was the partioner in my divorce and the house was in joint names and at the time i was awarded legal aid against the house and if ever sold the costs would simply be satified from the sale ,there was never a question of him agreeing to acept the charge or not on the house that never even arose but in honesty if he had disputed it if it ever came into question and refused and legal aid hadnt been granted he would have been ordered the costs of the hearing and divorce itself so it would have been no benifit for him to refuse
hope this helps in some way

  • ExhidMoob
  • ExhidMoob's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
18 Mar 12 #318854 by ExhidMoob
Reply from ExhidMoob
yes it does thank you :-)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.