A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Feel I need to change my solicitor.

  • Lena3
  • Lena3's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
23 Mar 12 #319782 by Lena3
Topic started by Lena3
Hi.My divorce case is based on legal aid at the initial stage, haven''t signed the divorce petition yet. The letters that my solicitor is sending to my husband contain major mistakes, e.g. she stated that he has to pay child maintenance 50% of his net salary, instead of %15. This morning I have exchanged 20 e-mails just to change a simple information on my income details in the fee remission form. Her letters are full of grammar mistakes too and my husband calls my solicitor a ''''joker''''.I don''t know what to do. Should I try to change the solicitor and how difficult it would be to transfer my case when no fees have been paid to her yet.
Thank you.

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Mar 12 #319801 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
If you transfer you will have to pay your outstanding fees before the solicitor releases your file.

If you have lost faith in your solicitor''s ability you need to write a list of issues you wish to raise and make it clear that you have no intention of paying for errors by your solicitor or the communications that were required to correct those errors.


  • Lena3
  • Lena3's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
24 Mar 12 #319822 by Lena3
Reply from Lena3
Thank you Charles.Should I first ask for outstanding fees of my solicitor or write a list of issues?

Kind regards.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.