A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How do I pay my legal fees - HELP please

  • jm0652
  • jm0652's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 May 12 #328697 by jm0652
Topic started by jm0652
We have combined assets namely the family home of £300,000 and I need to fight my alcoholic wife who is applying for residance of my daughter. I still live in the Family home

I''m about to be made redundant but the legal aid calculators tell me I (we) have too much assets.

I have petitioned for divorce but she has reneged on our verbal agreement of 50/50 residence.

Please someone help - Im drowning here :X



  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 May 12 #328889 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
Well, your redundancy money is the first port of call followed by additional borrowings.

It is possible to enter into an agreement with a solicitor to defer payment of fees until the end of your case when there is a division of assets. However, if you are litigating over the children you could use up all of your capital without sorting out the finances which leaves your solicitor unpaid. The upshot is that a solicitor is unlikely to take that risk.

A litigation loan is also possible but, again, there has to be the prospect of being repaid which would usually be from a financial settlement.

Acting for yourself is another option as many people on this site have done.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11