A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • SilverFir
  • SilverFir's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Oct 12 #358801 by SilverFir
Topic started by SilverFir
Quick question.

I haven''t determined whether my STBX is claiming legal aid or not but, as his last correspondence mentioned a barrister and STBX is a mature student with no income, I am guessing that he probably is ...

The FMH is jointly owned and when it is sold, there will be some equity to be shared between us - anywhere from £10k to £25k each.

Am I right in thinking that he will have to repay his legal aid costs from this money? What is the method for recovery? If they put a charge on the house, how would this work given that it''s in joint names but the charge would only need to be upon his share?

  • TBagpuss
  • TBagpuss's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Oct 12 #358869 by TBagpuss
Reply from TBagpuss
If you have court proceedings then if he is getting legal ad he / his solicitor should serve a notice of issue of leghal aid on you. You can ask whether he is legally aided.

Yes, Legal Aid (mostly) acts like a loan. He would repay this at the end of the case from any money or property he recovers or preserves. If the hosue is sold, then normally his share of the money would be sent to his solicitors and they would hold on to the amount needed to pay his legal aid bill. If he wants to use the money to buy a proeprty then he can apply for the legal aid to defer payment and take a charge over his property instead.

A charge can be over one party''s share in a property, and in that case it would be paid of from that person''s share on any sale, in a simialr way to when a mortgage is paid off

  • SilverFir
  • SilverFir's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Oct 12 #358983 by SilverFir
Reply from SilverFir
Thanks for the response.

Should I indeed have had a Notice of issue of legal aid? Or is that a nicety that doesn''t always happen?

I guess knowing that he''s on legal aid won''t make much difference to the ongoing case ...

  • upbeat
  • upbeat's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
02 Oct 12 #358991 by upbeat
Reply from upbeat
Hmmm, thats interesting TBaggpuss, my x''s solicitors put a restriction order on the property for non payment of their services from amny years ago, if the Judge orders the x gets nothing then do the x''s solicitors have to remove the restriction order?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.