A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

told not to claim SM now although need it

  • topaz
  • topaz's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Feb 08 #12979 by topaz
Topic started by topaz
x's income greater than mine 4 next five years as x has p/t job plus a pension in payment.when x stops p/t job my income(pension and benefits) all in payment will be greater than x's income.x said would claim off my pension then but it's only half amount of his pension..sol thinks struggle and not claim SM SO X WONT CLAIM FROM ME IN FUTURE.MAKES NO SENSE.also suggesting no claims on his pension either in the future.suggests take 50/50.no kids involved.the only future income of mine x can claim against is my pension but his is double mine.Any advice??
plus x has over 25k in personal assets I have less than 4k me no earning capacity at all.

  • loobyloo
  • loobyloo's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Feb 08 #12990 by loobyloo
Reply from loobyloo
Well in a nutshell you should be getting sm
change your solicitor
hope all else ok sounds really unfair your position, know how you feel

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Feb 08 #13103 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
SM is awarded according to the needs of one and the ability to pay of the other. In reality the court is unlikely to order someone on average or below average earnings to pay SM. There is no point in pursuing SM if it's unlikely to be awarded because it just pushes up your legal costs.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11