A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Revisiting Child Support

  • davecas
  • davecas's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
12 Feb 08 #13719 by davecas
Topic started by davecas
I have been divorced since 2005, and remarried in August 2007. I look after my two step-children, because their father died, soon after we got engaged. I am paying an extortionate amount of child support, but no spousal support (I have 3 boys from my first marriage.) I have the boys for 5 days in 14 and almost half the school holidays, yet I pay over 30% of my salary to her, for the children.

My question is: now that my circumstances have changed dramatically, including a reduction in my salary, can I apply to have the support reduced? According to CSA calculations, I am paying almost 3 times as much as I should be!!

Please can someone help me - I am finding it hard to make ends meet, and my ex is using the money to feather her own nest

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Feb 08 #13722 by mike62
Reply from mike62
How did you come to be paying so much over the odds? Was it voluntarily? Did you have some agreement about nil spousal maintenance against enhanced child maintenance?

Under CSA, you would be paying 25% of nett salary, discounted by 2.5/7 for the time they spend with you.

If your salary has dropped, of course you should be seeking a reduction. You can't get a gallon out of a pint pot.

Child maintenance is a legal obligation with a prescriptive formula for calculation. Anything over that is dependant upon your ex's needs and your ability to pay. Your ability has diminished - her payment has to too.

Post some more background and someone will respond. Best of luck,

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.