A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Can he do this? PLEASE advise

  • Mrs Ingledew
  • Mrs Ingledew's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Feb 08 #15244 by Mrs Ingledew
Topic started by Mrs Ingledew
I am going to lose the will to live.

My stbx (God bless his cotton sox) has had the gall to have a mutual friend toell me that if I don't pay his lump sum he will come after me for SM, and that it has been in his interest not to work to maximise this.

Simple summary...
we have no assets worth talking about
we have thousands of debt - joint, personal and business

I am earning. I am an IT contractor andtherefore a glorified temp. If I work all year with no holiday I can make a turnover of £70k (not a profit of it though)
Over the last 5 years I have worked to help my wonderful stbx train as a teacher (and give it up!), set up a computer games busines - which he now says he can't follow - although he has the stock, R&D etc.
And that he has been a house husband looking after the children... umm one at boarding school. one who was left at any opportunity in after school care and we have a cleaner and horses on full livery...

He has not worked (other than to paint some toy soldier for pin money!!)since he left in June. He says he can't get a job but is trying for jobs in area he is not qualified for! He is cohabiting and she owns her house plus other assets, he states his future is uncertain and mine is.

What happens now...

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Mar 08 #15489 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Taken from what you have written I would ignore his threats and press on with the ancillary relief procedure. The sooner you know where you stand the sooner you can start sorting out the mess.TBH, the whole situation sounds unreal with horses in livery and a child at boarding school whilst at the same time having no assets to talk of and being thousands in debt???

  • Mrs Ingledew
  • Mrs Ingledew's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Mar 08 #15702 by Mrs Ingledew
Reply from Mrs Ingledew
We were living on a fine line. And I thought stupidly he was working on a development over the last 12 months not seeing womeong else. We were bresking even but he took thousands from the business before he left and maxed the credit cards!!

It is not an unusual position to find people like me significantly in debt.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.