A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

am i entitled to any maintence from my husband

  • bubbles60
  • bubbles60's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
29 Feb 08 #15413 by bubbles60
Topic started by bubbles60
can anyone tell me if i would be entitled to any money from my husband.
we have been married 23years and then he had an affaire and then left me for her
all our children have grown up but im left high and dry i dont work as im disabled and our house is rented. he works and earns a good salary and also has his own buissness
if someone could offer any advice i would appreicate it.
many thanks bubbles

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Feb 08 #15416 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Almost certainly yes, I would say, on the basis of the facts you have given.

However, how much depends on your husband's financial

First question, could you be entitled to Legal help ?
From what you say, you could be. Check out the eligibility criteria on the CAB website ' adviceguide '.

Secondly, you need to investigate benefits as a matter of urgency, and particularly housing and council tax benefit.
See if you can get an appointment with a CAB.

What you are looking at is income support or jobseekers allowance ( probably the former ) and housing/council tax benefit to keep a roof over your head. An application for interim maintenance is a possibility. If you are without income, apply for benefits at the earliest opportunity, it normally can't be backdated.

You may be able to get a free half hour appointment with a family law solicitor who offers to do legal aid. This isn't likely to deal with much more than the legal aid issue, but that is the most important.

You say you are disabled ; do you get DLA ? Could you
apply for it ?

There's a few thoughts to be going with !

Good luck

Mike 100468

  • attilladahun
  • attilladahun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Feb 08 #15418 by attilladahun
Reply from attilladahun

Justified on "need".....On those facts he would have a difficult job justifying non payment....which means he will almost certainly be ordered to pay your costs for bringing the application.

Don't delay as the Court cannot back date payments before the application so apply soon:)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.