A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Variation of Spousal Maintenance

  • kolical
  • kolical's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Mar 08 #17040 by kolical
Topic started by kolical

can you advise me on whether I am entitled or justified in applying for a variation order given the following;

I settled my SM at £600 pm until age 63 or my ex wife remarries. I wanted to have "or co-habits" but was advised that this was almost unenforceable and that if I felt co-habitaion was taking place then I should apply for a VO since a judge would view this in the same light as "re-married".

I visited my original solicitor who now do not accept this advice was given.

At the time of the divorce, my ex wife was given our house via transfer of equity, and I also pay maintenance for my 2 children until they are out of uni (which I have no issue with).

She was living alone and needed substantial financial help, but now she is co-habiting and, whilst I have no access to financial information, I understand she is very comfortable.

I now feel circumastances have changed so much that my payment is far too high. So basically can I go back and vary this?

Thanks in anticipation,

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Mar 08 #17145 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
You can always apply to vary on the grounds of changed circumstances. The fact that your ex is cohabiting is potentially relevant. I don't know how much they have changed, so can't help you here.

Be aware, however, the Court will review the whole situation afresh. One of the difficulties is knowing exactly what your respective financial position is. It is possible, in theory, to ask for an increase and get a reduction, and vice versa.
So there is usually a risk in asking for a reduction unless
your case is a pretty good one, say following retirement or redundancy.

Mike 100468

  • kolical
  • kolical's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
18 Mar 08 #17147 by kolical
Reply from kolical
Thanks, appreciate the advice. I've ben doing a fair bit of digging and it does seem co-habitation, or de-facto relationships, can be a reason for a variation. I've seen a couple of posts to that effect on here too. My financal situation hasn't really changed, although I think a temporary period of job hunting is imminent(!) but I dont want to confuse the issue with that. Hers however have changed significantly and I have held off any application until our children are of an age where any access retribution will be fruitless.

I intend to see a solicitor to progress this and will let you know how it goes. I did hear I could apply myself to the court though, is that correct?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11