A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Child Maintenance

  • takead
  • takead's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
02 Apr 12 #321306 by takead
Topic started by takead
I pay a mutually agreed amount in child maintenance to my ex-wife for our 8 yr old daughter. My ex has started co-habitating with a new partner and they intend to marry. The new partners income is considerably higher than mine. My question is am I expected to still pay the agreed amount now that she is in a much stronger financial position than me? Thanks.

  • Tets
  • Tets's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
02 Apr 12 #321308 by Tets
Reply from Tets
Not knowing what you agreed it''s difficult to say.
If your ex were to pursue child maintenance through the CSA you would be expected to contribute a percentage of your income until your daughter was no longer a dependant no matter what her financial circumstances.

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
02 Apr 12 #321309 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
Welcome to Wikivorce.

The short answer is yes - this is because maintaining a child financially is the responsibility of the parents, not new partners or step-parents. If you are struggling to continue paying the mutually agreed amount, I suggest you use the CSA calculator to give you an indication of what that rate would be (15% of your net income, not allowing for any variations you may be entitled to).


  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Apr 12 #321310 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos
Child Maintenance payable via the CSA would still be payable as it is based on your income not on your ex wifes financial situation.

Have you checked if the agreed amount is in line with what you would pay via the CSA. If you are paying more you could reduce payments to the CSA level. They have a calculator on their website that you can use to check.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.