A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

What happens if husband loses job?

  • secondwife
  • secondwife's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
14 Apr 12 #323625 by secondwife
Topic started by secondwife
My husband and I both have 2children each from previous marriages. I earn more than my husband and he may lose his job in the near future.. My ex pays maintenance for our children. My husband pays mainteenance for his 2children. If he loses his job, what happens to the amount of mainteenance that he currently pays? Do we still have to pay the same amount because I am earning?

  • mumtoboys
  • mumtoboys's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Apr 12 #323646 by mumtoboys
Reply from mumtoboys
No, his children, his responsibility. The CSA would only assess his income for child maintenance purposes. However, appreciating the drop in income into his former wife''s home and the potential impact this may have on the children concerned, if you are able to offer some interim maintenance, this may help smooth over rough waters if his ex is unhappy. She needs to accept, however, that ultimately it''s not your responsibility to support his children.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11