A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

what amount of mainenence will i be liable for

  • johnnyh
  • johnnyh's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
22 Apr 12 #325726 by johnnyh
Topic started by johnnyh
divorce proceedings are well under way with a court date set,can any one assist in more information.
married for 15 years ,two step children over 21 and a son of 13 whom i pay 160 a month csa ,income of 15000 gross a year which includes all overtime basic is 13500,around 1000 amonth net
debts = joint overdraft of 6000 ,credit card debts in my name of 3800=150 amonth ,my rent of 360 a month,council tax 100 a month ,bills= phone /broadband dongle 40 amonth, tv licence 15 amonth ,car for travelling to work 45 amonth
electric and gas 40 a month , food 150 amonth
ex has around 1700 a month net , my csa of 160 amonth
rent of 500 amonth max ,council tax150 amonth max
bills electric and gas 90 amonth max,food 400 amonth max, travel 50 amonth ,broadband and phone paid for by her employer
she also has anew man in her life living with her who doesnt work
what amount of maintenence payment am i looking to pay out

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
22 Apr 12 #325728 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
Hello Johnny and welcome to wiki - but sorry you find yourself here.

Given your respective incomes I cannot see you have any liability for maintenance beyond CM. It is perfectly possible you may need to agree to a nominal order .. of say, £5 a year just in order to keep that avenue open (in case things get worse for her and better for you) especially while your son is a minor.

If there are no marital assets - ie no house etc - to divide then it is still a good idea to get a Consent Order - just to make sure you have no claims in future.


  • johnnyh
  • johnnyh's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
22 Apr 12 #325731 by johnnyh
Reply from johnnyh
thank you for a quick response,did not know this site exited till it was mentioned on tv a couple of days ago

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Apr 12 #325732 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
I entirely agree with this. As an extra, though, a nominal order for spouse maintenance is a possibility, as judges often insist on this where there are dependent children involved. You don''t actually pay anything, it''s there as a safeguard for the children.

I would certainly suggest that a nominal order should end when your son becomes 18.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.