A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

CSA Arrears and Small Claims court

  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Apr 12 #325954 by maisymoos
Topic started by maisymoos
My stbx owes me several £1000''s in CSA arrears dating back to Sept 2011.

I have given up asking emailing and writing for the money and the CSA say and I have now submit a small claim application.

This is because I had agreed for my STBX paying the CSA assessment direct to me rather than the CSA collecting monies on my behalf. If they had been collecting on my behalf they would have been responsible for recovering this debt.(I have lived and learnt from this and have now asked them to collect money).

Has anyone else pursued a small claims application for CSA monies due, and what was the outcome? Will the "I cannot afford it argument" carry weight????

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Apr 12 #325979 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Apr 12 #325981 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
The small claims court doesn''t have jurisdiction over family law matters such as child support enforcement. :(

  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Apr 12 #326001 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos
The CSA have advised the small claims court is the route I need to take. Although the assessment was made via the CSA, as my stbx was paying me direct I need to recover these monies via small claims court as a personal debt. The CSA can only enforce recovery of debt when they are collecting monies. I have been advised this is the correct route by their appeals department and various case officers.


  • End_In_Sight
  • End_In_Sight's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
04 May 13 #392066 by End_In_Sight
Reply from End_In_Sight
Hi maisymoos,

What was the outcome of taking him to the small claims court?

I am in a similar position to you.

Many thanks for any help you may be able to give me on this one.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.