A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Ex asking for rent, bills and costs

  • guerro
  • guerro's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
02 May 12 #328043 by guerro
Topic started by guerro
Hello everyone,

I am very stressed and going through difficult time now because of this issue. recap of the story in brief is as follows:

* we got married in 2008 in Egypt.
* we started living in the uk since Feb 2009 till separation Nov 2011. She has been in the uk for more than 12 years.
* she was paying the rent in full between Feb 2009 till Apr 2010 as I was unemployed. the rent costed the same amount before we marry and after I moved in. In theory, she would be paying the same.
* since May 2010 till separation, Nov 2011, I was paying fifty ffty.
* she submitted the Petition in Dec 2011, I responded and she swore the affidavit.
* the court sent a letter stating 14 May to announce a date for the decree (nisi I believe). the court said that I don''t have to attend unless I oppose the order of cost or want to defend the divorce.

Now, ex has made a calculation of all the money she spent on me putting the cost at around £5000 and she wants at least £500 before 13 May. she said she will call the police, apply to the court and ask for interest as well.

My question is:
can she really do this? will the police or court order me to pay her false calculation (real calculation is around £2000)?
when two people marry, should they help each others?
she is earning double my salary and many people asked me to apply for maintenance or so but I don''t her money and I want to pay her the correct money in installments, not the way she wants.

can you please help me before the 14th of May?


  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 May 12 #328050 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
When two people marry they usually share but her demands are completely bonkers. Let her call the police: they will tell her that she is wasting their time.

There is absolutely no obligation for you to pay her back the rent she paid while you were unemployed.

Best wishes,

  • guerro
  • guerro's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
02 May 12 #328053 by guerro
Reply from guerro
Can she ask for maintenance, Ancillary Relief or to share my assets (few thousands in my bank account)?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11