A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

CSA Close Case

  • kmgf
  • kmgf's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
19 May 12 #331684 by kmgf
Topic started by kmgf
Could do with some well needed advice here please ..

I currently pay my ex through CSA for my two children.
But due to my ex receiving payments from them late and also due to me never knowing an exact amount taken every month (as it changes on a monthly basis) I have a very important question I can''t seem to find a concrete answer to.

If my ex was to close our current CSA case and we have a set monthly amount agreement that a pay directly in to her account -- Can my ex re-open the CSA case saying I haven''t been paying at all or not enough even if I have the bank statement proof?

Basically can CSA say I owe x amount years down the line even when I have been paying amounts each month?

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated thank you

  • mumtoboys
  • mumtoboys's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 May 12 #331696 by mumtoboys
Reply from mumtoboys
there are cases where this has happened, yes. Where there is doubt, the CSA seem to err on the side of caution and make the NRP pay twice - this is even with bank statements which show regular payments. I would suggest your payments are marked clearly with the reference ''child maintenance for X and Y (children''s names) or something along those lines. Your best protection is to get a letter from the CSA which states the case is closed and nothing is owing - until you have that, I would do nothing privately. You will then need to guard that letter with your life! It might be a hassle now to get it all worked out but if you can get the CSA out of your life, so much the better!

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
20 May 12 #331733 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Get a letter from CSA stating case is closed with no arrears.

Get a statement from their accounts department showing charges and payments.

Ensure money paid to ex is fully traceable, ie bank transfer or at least cheque NEVER cash, and clearly labelled CHILD MAINTENANCE.

If possible both sign some sort of agreement such as the agreement form on Child Maintenance Options website.

Why does the amount they take each month vary? It should be the assessed amount unless you have arrears.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11