A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Advice needed ASAP

  • Jjaz
  • Jjaz's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
25 Jun 12 #338998 by Jjaz
Topic started by Jjaz
My ex is seeking to vary the maintenance order which was granted in my favour so that he does not have to pay me any maintenance.

As I found the whole court/divorce process incredibly stressful, for my own mental well being (and that of my children) I have decided not to contest his application to vary the court order.

I wrote to his solicitors and to the court advising them that I would not be contesting his application to vary the order.

His solicitors wrote to me shortly after (approx 4 weeks ago) saying that they would write to the court and prepare a draft Consent Order for my agreement.

The hearing is scheduled to take place next week, and as I had heard nothing further from the court I telephoned them and they told me that the hearing was still scheduled to take place and that they had received no correspondence from my ex''s solicitors.

I telephoned my ex''s solicitors who have advised that they are preparing a draft order and will send this through to me by the end of the week. She said there was a chance though that the hearing my still take place (despite me not contesting)

I am now petrified that I will still have to attend court. I cannot face seeing my ex. Will I suffer any consequences if I do not attend.

I will agree to anything so I do not have to see him ever again. Please help ASAP as my hearing is scheduled for 2nd July

  • Jjaz
  • Jjaz's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
25 Jun 12 #339001 by Jjaz
Reply from Jjaz
Just to be clear my main question is whether I will face an consequences from the court if I do not attend the hearing? Many thanks in advance for any advice that can be given.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.