A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

ex not paying spousal maintenance

  • maryjane59
  • maryjane59's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
20 Jul 12 #344446 by maryjane59
Topic started by maryjane59
confused about how to go about getting spousal maintenance paid.
Ex left his employers - told my son he was sacked. I believe he took redundancy just as I was about to get attachment of earnings. Was earning 100k + as business consultant.
Now self employed going back to previous employers as a consultant on a day rate! So hardly believe he was sacked!
He''s told the CSA he''s not making any money - so CSA payments stopped.
Should have started SM payments 6 months ago.
How do I get it enforced?
Should I go to the magistrates court?
Or should I keep it in the County court?
I will have to represent myself as no money for solicitors.
Or am I just wasting my time as he will just make it look as if he''s not earning anything and will I end up just not getting anything at all?
Please can someone offer me direction. I''m just falling deeper into debt with no CSA or SM payments

  • Yummy_Mummy
  • Yummy_Mummy's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Jul 12 #344471 by Yummy_Mummy
Reply from Yummy_Mummy

I am not sure if I can provide any decent advice as I am in a similar position of getting nothing either from him.

Are you not entitled to Legal Aid?
Could you go and get some advice from CAB?
Could you phone the helpline on here?

I think it is a question of proving that he is earning and what he is earning. It doesn''t matter what he says, he has to prove it.

Does your ex see your son?
How long were you married for?
How long have you not been getting anything?
Is he paying mortgage, bills or anything at all?

I suggest you keep all receipts and statements in the meantime to prove reasons for debt.

I can''t see how you will not end up getting anything as you have children together; I take it you have one boy and how old is he? His needs will need to be taken into account.

I take it you have residence of your son/ children?

Let me know how you get on.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11