A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Affording CSA-Negotiating

  • jakeblues68
  • jakeblues68's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
23 Jul 12 #344786 by jakeblues68
Topic started by jakeblues68
I hope someone can help...
CSA have calculated a weekly amount for me to pay, however due to the debt left over from divorce and the travelling I must do to see my kids, I can not afford the payments. They are so high that it will send me further into debt each month.
I now can not afford to travel to see my kids at all, therefore the CSA calculation will increase....madness, surely there must be some common sense applied here.
has anyone else been through this or can offer any advice?

many thanks in advance.


  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
23 Jul 12 #344787 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
Have you requested variations for the travel expenses and repayment of family debt to be taken into consideration?

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Jul 12 #344794 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
It''s a Catch 22 situation. Under the current rules there is no deduction for overnight stays when there is a variation for contact expenses. That means the non-resident parent is often no better off requesting the CSA take travel expenses into account.

Also there''s a list of loans such as overdrafts, credit cards and business debts that do not qualify so it can be difficult obtaining a variation on that basis too. CSA rules and regulations are a blunt instrument and there is little room to negotiate.

On a more positive note the rules are changing and then it should be possible to claim both overnight deductions and travel expenses. Unfortunately initially only new cases will be on the new scheme and existing cases will be transferred later. In the meantime other the moving closer to your children I don''t know what to suggest. :(

  • jakeblues68
  • jakeblues68's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
23 Jul 12 #344799 by jakeblues68
Reply from jakeblues68
Many thanks, I spend over £600 per month on travel costs, that doesn''t include hotels etc, the variation will only drop the weekly amount by £10....
The CSA will not listen that my expenditure will exceed my income, and thats after me cancelling internet/sky/professional subscriptions etc.
I am currently serving in the armed forces so it will be taken at source, whcih is very unfair, some civ NRP''s get away for years without paying if they think it an unfair calculation.

I really don''t know what else to do, I have consolidated all my loans and debt already, there''s nothing left in the pot and it will leave me over £400 per month further in debt. After 12 months I will be £4,800 in debt and after 4 years (child is 14yo) 19,200 in debt.
Why won''t anyone listen or even have some common sense?
I feel like taking my own life as this is a dead end!

  • happyagain
  • happyagain's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Jul 12 #344802 by happyagain
Reply from happyagain
Jake, I really feel for you. I find it ridiculous that repayments of marital debt are not taken out of the equation, it is not as if you can choose not to repay them.
Just a thought, given the age of your child could he do some of the travelling? You would be able to get cheaper fares as he is a child.

  • jakeblues68
  • jakeblues68's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
23 Jul 12 #344805 by jakeblues68
Reply from jakeblues68
The distance is too far, i''ve tried all avalable options there. Ex wife won''t even travel 500 metres to meet me either.

Something has to give..........

  • zonked
  • zonked's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Jul 12 #344898 by zonked
Reply from zonked
Jake - a couple of suggestions:

1. Contact CCCS - consumer credit councelling service. Maybe some of your debt can be frozen or negotiated down. It''s a free and kosher service.

2. Apply to vary the order to share the travel.

At the same time, let the ex know you are only doing this because you can''t afford the current journeys.

If it''s a choice between lower payments or an order sharing the travel - maybe she will budge?

Am sorry the advice is so thin, it''s an awful situation to be in.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.