A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Help Help Help

  • em_flynn
  • em_flynn's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
30 Jul 12 #346123 by em_flynn
Topic started by em_flynn
Hello- just looking for some general advice. I split from my husband 18 months ago and initiated divorce proceedings. I am unable to reach a financial settlement for a number of reasons and wondered if anyone can help;

1. My ex lost his job in December and has not paid a penny towards our joint mortgage or loan but is insisting I sell the house to give him money as we do have some equity but if I do this I can''t afford to buy anywhere and I would not qualify for any benefits as I earn just over the threshold so would become homeless

2. He did not pay any maintenance for quite some time whilst on benefits accrued arrears but has now got a job this month but is self-employed and the CSA cannot enforce any payments for his arrears or for future payments.

3. To add insult to all of this he withdrew £1400 of the joint account and put it overdrawn to enable him to instruct solicitors against me (I have since paid this money off to avoid bad credit) but I cannot afford a solicitor and am representing myself.

I feel so fed up by the whole situation. I am working full time to support my little girl whilst her father is living the life of riley and now wants to take our home away. I have been to Citizens Advice but I don''t qualify for legal aid as I earn too much but I can''t take a pay cut as struggling to pay the bills.

He no longer pays any money towards our daughter but has a healthy lifestyle going to the gym, smoking, drinking and going out and running a nice car.


  • QPRanger
  • QPRanger's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 Jul 12 #346129 by QPRanger
Reply from QPRanger
Hi em

Close the joint account immediately (if you haven''t done so already).

Has he commenced financial proceedings against you? If not then I suggest you commence against him: there is plenty of help on here for people who self rep!

Good luck, and keep your head up!

  • em_flynn
  • em_flynn's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
30 Jul 12 #346131 by em_flynn
Reply from em_flynn
THank you for your reply. I am in the process of closing the joint account. It is a huge story but ex hubby refused to sign to have the account closed and Halifax would not freeze the account and it is now with the Finicial Ombudsman. I have managed to now get the account frozen but as it is an Ultimate Reward account and there are insurances on the account they can''t close it without his say so. It has been a nightmare but fingers crossed I am nearly at the end of this chapter :)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11