A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Capitalisation of spousal maintenance

  • Tor67
  • Tor67's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Aug 12 #347715 by Tor67
Topic started by Tor67
if i put here my age and annual spousal maintenance can anyone please give me the figure for capitalisation from the duxbury tables?

  • maggie
  • maggie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Aug 12 #347805 by maggie
Reply from maggie

Only place I''ve ever seen them.

This gives some background - in 2009 Duxbury assumed interest of 3.75% - the good old days?


  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Aug 12 #347823 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
This is just a personal opinion on capitalisation.
I paid SM for a very long time, and eventually there came a time when I felt that capitalisation might be a possibility to rid myself of what I regarded as a long standing and very tiresome imposition. Obviously, the older you are, the cheaper it gets.
Before you even think of capitalisation, I would advise you to become familiar with the approach adopted by the Court in Pearce v Pearce. In theory, the Court cannot use an application for capitalisation as an opportunity to achieve a further re-distribution of assets. However, the general approach seems to me, first of all to consider the issue as to the proper level of SM. The payer might argue for an increase in the SM and then for capitalisation of the sum as increased .
If that isn''t taking a second bite at the cherry I don''t know what is.
It is also within the powers of the Court to make a pension sharing order, though this would not have been so in my case because my divorce settlement was in 1986.
You might also care to consider the case of Dixon v Marchant www.familylore.co.uk/2008/01/dixon-v-mar...t-fair-decision.html.
So, my lawyer and I came to the conclusion that continuing to pay the SM was the lesser of two evils.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.