A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Clean break

  • melsomebody
  • melsomebody's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Sep 20 #514139 by melsomebody
Topic started by melsomebody
Hi, grateful of any advice and experience others may have had.

Supporting my son who is in process of divorcing wife 5 yrs apart without consent.
They have been separated for 6.5 yrs.
They had lived together for 2.5 yrs and then 1 yr 7 months marriage before separation.
I child aged 4.5 yrs ( yes I know conceived after the separation :woohoo:)
He had entered the relationship as a student, rented property in her name, made equal contributions to the household expenses, no savings. Left the marriage with nothing left her with all the jointly acquired household items.

Has since saved and bought a property, has very little savings and no other assets, he has paid a regular reasonable maintenance voluntarily agreed, in addition to having regular overnight contacts and buying essential items on request.
He is paying into a work’s pension.

She on the other hand is now a student, he is unsure on her financial situation though he feels she will have debts and has a car as assets

The question is how much of a claim would she have based on period of marriage, child etc. And would the court consider that anything he has has been built since the separation.

Welcome your opinions

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11