A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Global maintenance

  • Redmist27
  • Redmist27's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
31 May 21 #516857 by Redmist27
Topic started by Redmist27
Hi, looking for any advice possible please.
My ex husband earns £10k per month after tax, compared with my £1600 after tax. I can’t increase my earnings any further due to sole responsibility for the children. He pays the CMS amount of child maintenance but it still leaves me £1000 short each month. He can easily afford to make up that £1000 shortfall to allow his kids to have a reasonable standard of living, but he is refusing to do so. Has anyone had experience of such a huge disparity in salary? I’m terrified that if a judge only awards me £200 or so a month I won’t be able to make ends meet and will be forced to relocate to a totally different area of the Uk where I can afford to live, and leave my family and support network.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
03 Jun 21 #516879 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
Maintenance is part of the whole picture.

It may be that for example a much greater share of the capital assets could go to you to reduce your need for a mortgage and thus cut living costs.

Is your income from employment or benefits? Any spousal maintenance is deducted £ for £ from benefits so it would need to be paid at a level above what you are getting in benefits.

Are you currently in the court process for financial settlement?

It may be worth getting some help from one of our divorce consultants who specialises in financial matters or if you are confident of the figures, book a fixed price consultation with one of our partner solicitors. Give the helpline a call and tell them you have been referred from the forum.


  • Redmist27
  • Redmist27's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
03 Jun 21 #516880 by Redmist27
Reply from Redmist27
Thank you for your reply. There is very limited capital involved which means that even if I were to get 100% of it, I’d still require a large mortgage, based 50% on my child maintenance payments, to find even a tiny home in this area. Most of my income is from employment, but UC do reimburse 85% of my childcare costs, which are considerable.
In the court process. About to have FDR, but the two proposals are so far apart I fear it will just be a massive waste of time and money.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11