A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

any info on army pensions?

  • libby
  • libby's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
26 Jan 08 #12020 by libby
Topic started by libby
spent 22yrs in army with stbx married 39 tyrs he commited adultery any one any idea of percentage i am likely to get. have heard army different to normal pensions :dry::silly:

  • juttabeck
  • juttabeck's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
27 Jan 08 #12028 by juttabeck
Reply from juttabeck
Are you Army or is he?

Forces pensions are notoriously under-valued - so any value on the CETV is likely to be checked by an independent actuary (your solicitor or his solicitor will ask for this if they are any good) - the "real" value for divorce purposes will be significantly higher than the CETV value in my experience.

The actuary we used was £700 plus VAT I think.

hope that helps

  • maggie
  • maggie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Jan 08 #12030 by maggie
Reply from maggie
Is there any quick easy way to find a solicitor who knows about pension sharing?
Is there any extra training or qualification to look for?
The only way I can think of is to take free consultations with solicitors, put the idea of pension sharing to them and wait to see if they mention checking the CETV or getting an independent report from an actuary or ask about Form P and see if they know what it is.If not , next please.
I know from bitter experience that if they haven't a clue about pension sharing they won't tell you - taking their fees under false pretences.

  • Peter@BDM
  • Peter@BDM's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Jan 08 #12034 by Peter@BDM
Reply from Peter@BDM

Juttabeck is right about armed forces pensions being radically undervalued by the CETV. A detailed actuarial valuation will cost around £700 + VAT. However, depending on what you and your lawyer intend doing about your husband’s pension, you may not need an independent valuation. Your options are a) offsetting the pension against some other asset(s), b) pension sharing, and c) pension attachment. Your lawyer should be able to tell you about each of these and discuss which is best for you. If not, s/he should be able to put you in touch with someone who can.

Finally, there are alternatives to a £700 + VAT detailed actuarial report. £25 + VAT will get you a reasonable valuation that can be used in making the early decisions.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.