A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

help and advice needed please

  • floswift
  • floswift's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
19 Feb 08 #14396 by floswift
Topic started by floswift
Hi I am new to this forum and also new to divorce! To give you some background:
been married for 7 1/2 years - no kids. Hubby walked out on Nov 10th saying marriage was over and refusing to give me any chances of getting it back together.
The only assets we have are our home - and both our pensions. At the mo I am still living in the marital home and he is renting a flat and paying half the mortgage.
He is a police officer with 22 years service - I am police support staff with 14 years service.
He is asking for me to pay him 35K which I can't do unless I sell the house - we have about 100k equity.
I am now thinking about going after my 7 1/2 years share of his pension which is worth double mine and I have to ask him to get a CETV - any advice please ???

  • unic
  • unic's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
19 Feb 08 #14399 by unic
Reply from unic
Read the pensions article posted today in this forum, it stresses caution in valuing police pensions using CETV.
Assumung you earn less than your husband, you may be due spousal maintenance, use the Divorce Calculator on the site to check.
Good luck

  • Elle
  • Elle's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
19 Feb 08 #14412 by Elle
Reply from Elle
You could consider offsetting his pension against equity in the house if you wanted to keep the house.

  • floswift
  • floswift's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
19 Feb 08 #14423 by floswift
Reply from floswift
Yes that is what I am intending to do but I need to find out how much our respective pensions are worth first I think

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Feb 08 #14425 by mike62
Reply from mike62

This is a recent post that may give you some assistance:



  • BVG
  • BVG's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
20 Feb 08 #14481 by BVG
Reply from BVG
Hi Floswift,
You haven't mentioned if divorce proceeding have been started, if so who is divocing who are sols involved yet?. I believe that not much can be done until the divorce has reached NISI stage. ( I sure the forum will correct me if I am wrong!) Then if no agreed settlement terms have been reached, ancillary relief could be sought. THis can prove to be an expensive route be warned.
But this will bring into play all pensions of both parties and assests for a fair division to be assesed.

  • Rosie91
  • Rosie91's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
20 Feb 08 #14564 by Rosie91
Reply from Rosie91
Discuss an actuary with your solicitor, a joint instruction can be made so the cost of the actuary is divided between you both. The CETV is not a true valuation.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11