A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Armed forces pension gratuity

  • RichyRichM
  • RichyRichM's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
28 Apr 12 #326966 by RichyRichM
Topic started by RichyRichM
I left the Armed forces in 2007 and split from my wife in 2010 with full time custody of our child with whom I remain in the house. Her lawyer is going for a 50/50 split on the house plus her 50% of her part of my pension. As I put my gratuity into the house which was fully commuted does this not mean she is getting this gratuity part of the pension in effect twice. Worryingly 2 solicitors seem unsure of how this works out. Has anyone experienced similar?

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
28 Apr 12 #326998 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
I am sure someone who is a lot more clued up about Scots Law will come along soon but my reading of this is as follows.

In Scottish Law it is the date of separation that is key.

Could it be that if you paid off a chunk of the house AFTER separation, the request is for 50% of house value at separation and 50% of gratuity?

So in effect you would not be paying twice .. but would have to take gratuity cash out of the house to settle up.

Alternatively if you paid it into the house BEFORE separation then the gratuity no longer exists -- so yes they are asking for it twice. You probably just need to explain how you spent it.


  • ScotBob
  • ScotBob's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
30 Apr 12 #327505 by ScotBob
Reply from ScotBob
It is not only the date of separation that things are taken - if there was money in the pension pot before marriage then that value is also relevant. As I understand it it is the amount accumulated DURING the marriage that counts, so it would be 50% of the difference between the CETV at separation date & the CETV at the date of marriage.

Similarly, I''ve just been asked to provide vouched figures for my bank account & credit cards, etc. as at the date of marriage, having already supplied them for the date of separation. However it appears that it''s irrelevant that those pre-marriage balances were racked up while living together for 5 years before marriage, so looks like I''m getting further shafted by the ex :(

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11