A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

husband to get Actuary Report Any ideas why?

  • apples 2
  • apples 2's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
22 May 12 #332144 by apples 2
Topic started by apples 2
Hi I am trying to divorce my husband after finally plucking up the courage. He vowed to put every obstacle in my way and seems to be doing a pretty good job. He has paid into a local govt. pension for 35yrs. I paid into a local govt pension full time for 6yrs and part time for 8. We both have our CTVs and obviously my husband''s is much larger than mine. His solicitor has advised him to get a pension actuary''s report. I don''t really understand why. Can anyone help? I''d really appreciate it. I have a meeting with my solicitr next week and want to go prepared. Thanks

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 May 12 #332149 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
I don''t normally advise about pensions because it is a bit of a specialised subject, but the point is that a pension CETV of ( say ) £100,000 is not the same as £100,000 in the bank.

A pension is the right to receive an income at some time in the future.

So the question is, how are the assets to be valued in order to ensure a fair division ? That''s where your actuary''s report comes in.

There are a few specialists on this site who may be able to give you a fuller answer.


  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 May 12 #332160 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
You might want to talk to your solicitor about suggesging you get a joint actuary''s report before he goes off on his own and gets one. If you have a joint instruction you will both have a say in what you are asking the actuary to calculate.

Your husband is probably trying to get the maximum valuation of your pension and the minimum one for his. You would then need to get your own to counter this. The costs would escalate and you might well have to get a joint report in the end. So getting one at this stage (which will cost about £1000 between you) will save money in the long term. You can get the actuary to calculate how much should be transferred under a range of scenarios.

Best wishes,

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11