A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Can any one tell me ??

  • Treacle789
  • Treacle789's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
11 Sep 12 #355164 by Treacle789
Topic started by Treacle789
Can anyone tell me would an actuary for a pension automatically do a search on serps , or lost pensions ??

  • The Divorce IFA
  • The Divorce IFA's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Sep 12 #355239 by The Divorce IFA
Reply from The Divorce IFA

They would tend to do exactly what they have been instructed to do.

In most cases this should be to include SERPs pensions but I have seen occasions when these pension have and are omitted. If the SERPS pension has not been disclosed in your case I would ask for it to be looked into. It could be as part of the state second pension via a BR20 valuation from the DWP or be found in the contracted out portion of an existing pension (be it occupational or private).

On the point of lost pensions it is highly unlikely that an actuary would look into this. You can use the pension tracing service to look into lost pensions.

I have assumed you meant lost pensions in this sense as opposed to not disclosed pensions.


  • ian conlon actuary
  • ian conlon actuary's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Sep 12 #355434 by ian conlon actuary
Reply from ian conlon actuary
Agree with Phil. Most of the times I am instructed on a joint basis to provide a report in accordance with the letter of instruction and the letter of instruction usually specifies the pensions I am to consider. If I don''t include Additional state pension then I state that this is the case.
If I am asked to comment on a draft letter of instruction then I will raise the issue of State Pensions and whether they are to be included or not.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.