A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

What percentage of my pension should I keep?

  • Hinckley
  • Hinckley's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
18 Jan 21 #515396 by Hinckley
Topic started by Hinckley
Hi Everyone!

I've been searching online about pension sharing but all the advice seems to be written for women who have a claim on their husband's pension. My soon to be ex husband has no pension and wants me to share my pension with him..

This is the better option for me too as I don't wish to offset the pension against the home because I am trying to buy him out of the property.

I have been told that I will get to keep a bigger share of my pension than him because being a woman, I will statistically live longer than him and will therefore need more money.
So how do I calculate who should get what without using a professional?

Also I have been paying into my occupational pension since 2002 and married in 2008 so should I argue that the pension which I accrued during the 6 years prior to marriage should not be shared?

Thanks :)

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
19 Jan 21 #515405 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Post details of ages, incomes, children and all assets for someone to really comment.

You may be able to ring fence before co-habitation. It depends on what the total asset pot looks like.

If you want equalisation of income in retirement, and to claim more of the pension to achieve this, then you really will need to pay for an actuary report. It's not something you could work out yourself on a piece of paper.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11