A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Should I take the council house?

  • loopylucy
  • loopylucy's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
28 Jan 08 #12122 by loopylucy
Topic started by loopylucy
Since my split with ex husband 2 years ago I have been living in private rented accommodation but have been on the council’s housing register. I have finally been offered a council home (and tiny and grotty though it is) I am considering accepting this offer as it is considerably less a month than I am paying now and a lot nearer to my children’s school.

I am concerned that this may affect my claim for ancillary relief, first appointment is scheduled for 9th April 2008. I am claiming for half the value of the FMH plus half the marital debts. However will the fact that I will be living in council property negatively affect this claim, leading the judge to think that my need is less now I have a council home or will my current housing not affect my claim?

Also currently I am just about breaking even every month with regards to rent and household bills however if I take the council house I will be about £200 a month better off, will the judge decide that I should continue to manage the debts alone?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.