A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

advice really

  • susie48
  • susie48's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
04 Feb 08 #12830 by susie48
Topic started by susie48
my friend is being divorced by his wife, he has two children, 20,24, he has left the family home, and his wife is in the process of divorce, he has given her the house, which is worth three hundred thousand, she has put a claim in for the pension,he pays her 500 a month, he owes no debts. his children have their partners living in the family home , and are all working including his wife, surely he must be able to support only himself after giving the home to his family ? can you please offer some advice as he believes this is normal.

  • Josh2008
  • Josh2008's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Feb 08 #12859 by Josh2008
Reply from Josh2008
The matter is entirely between husband and wife in this situation and the children (adults with live in partners) are quite capable of sorting out their own lives independently

What the H & W need to do is write down exactly what each has in terms of assets which have and individual value of £500 or more

They then need to look at each others income now and potential income for the future

Then look at each others future pensions and get a current valuation of it's worth.

Once all the relevant financial information is to hand, they would ideally look at a 50/50 split or if there is some imbalance on either side in replacement of pension rights then % can be adjusted accordingly

I would have thought that the best advice here was to go for mediation, whereby both parties can have their say on exactly how they want the matters to be settled

What the courts look to see, is that both parties leave the marriage in as equal a financial footing as possible, and therefore it should be relatively simple for them to work it out together.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.