A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

advice really

  • susie48
  • susie48's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
04 Feb 08 #12831 by susie48
Topic started by susie48
my friend is being divorced by his wife, he has two children, 20,24, he has left the family home, and his wife is in the process of divorce, he has given her the house, which is worth three hundred thousand, she has put a claim in for the pension,he pays her 500 a month, he owes no debts. his children have their partners living in the family home , and are all working including his wife, surely he must be able to support only himself after giving the home to his family ? can you please offer some advice as he believes this is normal.

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Feb 08 #12834 by mike62
Reply from mike62
On the surface it does seem extreme. However, for anyone to comment there would need to be a great deal more information posted about your friend and his ex-wife's financial position. Sounds like she is having her cake and eating it, and checking in the fridge as well.

Normally, the assets split is 50:50 after a long marriage, assuming each party are in similar circumstances.

But disparity in income, pension provisions, other assets, earnings potential, special needs of one spouse can slew the asset split in favour of one or other party. It might be anything from 50:50 to 95:5. However, the court recognizes the needs of your friend to house and keep himself too.

With no dependant children, housing needs met and children contributing to house it would seem that unless they have vastly differing incomes, she is taking him for a ride.

THe info needed for someone to hazard a guess at asset splits can be fed into the wikivorce calculator


Dont use decimal points or symbols

If you want a more personal view - gather the info the calculator is asking for and post it up.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.