A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

What would stop this?

  • swordsman again
  • swordsman again's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
12 Feb 08 #13635 by swordsman again
Topic started by swordsman again
Wife moved out.

I am living in house and paying 100% mortgage since she left

She has son except every other weekend and once in the week.

She has a well paid job and can support herself to a reasonable standard.

She has suggested a 50:50 equity split, and allowing me to keep 100% of an inheritence I received after she left to buy her out of the property.

No spousal maintenance.
child maintenance to be paid.

I am happy with this - would courts force a different solution.

Also does anyone know the situation with regards to stamp duty when I am buying her out?


  • sallyanne
  • sallyanne's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
12 Feb 08 #13638 by sallyanne
Reply from sallyanne
my husband and i agreed everything between us.he stayed in the house until it was sold and then we split it 50:50. if you dont choose to go to court you dont have to . fill out a few forms and the solicitors follow your instructions. there is a comeback clause if problems arise. I am no expert but why involve courts if not necessary also people have said mediation ( not to get to get you back together)but sort out practicalities.. If you are both happy.....organise things yourself. I trust my ex but so many people have problems i may be naive

  • mummybear38
  • mummybear38's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Feb 08 #13645 by mummybear38
Reply from mummybear38
If there is an existing mortgage you have to take half the amount to repay the mortgage and add to it any money that is being paid to the person coming off the deeds and if that comes to more than £125k then stamp duty is payable. However, if the transfer is as a result of a Consent Order under matrimonial proceedings then it is exempt anyway. Hope this helps.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.