A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

FMH in my name, can I change locks

  • twinks
  • twinks's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
12 Feb 08 #13695 by twinks
Topic started by twinks
FMH always been in my name, 6 years ago we legally seperated, docs signed at sol. Saying house was mine, he had no rights etc. Anyway he still lives there, have filed for div, thought about the Non molestation/ occupancy route due to his agression, but seeing as we agreed house was mine, surely I cn chnge loacks, get sol to write a polite letter, saying he can collect his things, when someone else is there, or am i being daft.

This is just terrifying me, i am just waiting for him to explode, and the kids are suffering

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Feb 08 #13700 by mike62
Reply from mike62
From a legal and practical standpoint, I would say yes you can change the locks - but surely just doing that without him being aware of it coming is going to provoke a violent response from him?

What if you write him a letter giving him 24 hrs / 7 days to move himself and his things out? At least that way he has some degree of control in the process. He must have seen this day coming, surely by now. Or do you think the 'change the locks and damn the consequences' route will be easier on you?

If you did it to me, Mr mild mannered Mike62 would come out fighting. If you presented me with an opportunity to do it under my own steam, I would still resent it, but a lot less.

If you were to go down the notice route, I would be very careful about putting any 'consequences' for non-compliance like 'or I will be changing the locks' in the letter - just the bald facts - sling your hook and take your stuff.

Just my thoughts, you know him much better than I do.

Best of luck


  • twinks
  • twinks's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
13 Feb 08 #13736 by twinks
Reply from twinks
Thanks Mike, I think that the letter is a good idea, can I offer to pack for him lol. I had hoped to have the explosion and get it over and down with instead, he is not saying a word to me, which is worse, as I am even more stressed, and this wont help anyone.

So I think I polite letter explaining that for all of our sakes that, it would be better for him to leave, so as not to cause any undue stress to the kids and me as well.

Still shocked that it has all come down to this, so head is all over the place. Thanks again Mike

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11