A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

notice of severance of joint tenancy

  • shirleylane
  • shirleylane's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
20 Feb 08 #14455 by shirleylane
Topic started by shirleylane
My solicitor is sending to the land registry for severance of the joint tenancy of the property my husband and I own - why is this and what will it achieve? My husband and I have already agreed a private settlement regarding finances and I will not be requiring any further assistance so why is this necessary?

  • maggie
  • maggie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Feb 08 #14458 by maggie
Reply from maggie
Most married couples are "joint tenants" of the family home - it means you own it equally and when you die, ownership of the house automatically passes to the other joint owner.
If you're divorced and still "joint tenants" when you die, whoever dies first will automatically inherit the other joint tenant's half of the house and you can't override that in your will.
If you want to leave your half of the house to someone else you have to "sever the joint tenancy" and become tenants in common - you have to tell the Land Registry so they can change the house deeds to show you're tenants in common.
If you sever joint tenancy and become a tenant in common you will no longer automatically inherit the house when your ex-husband dies.

  • maggie
  • maggie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Feb 08 #14465 by maggie
Reply from maggie
I'm thinking of severing joint tenancy until the family home is sold to protect our adult children who live in the family home with me - if I get run over tomorrow, as joint tenant their dad would own all the roof over their heads even though my will says he will get nothing I own.Joint tenancy takes precedence over a will.I want them to get my half of the house no matter what happens.

The Land Registry forms to register as tenants in common are downloadable and look straightforward - how much will a solicitor charge to do it for me?

  • WelshBoa
  • WelshBoa's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
04 Jan 10 #173350 by WelshBoa
Reply from WelshBoa
My wife's solicitor sent me out this form over xmas but it also included a phrase along the lines of signing "all equity" over as well which I thought was strange.

I havent signed this letter yet but my wife thinks that it doesnt require a signature from me in anycase, as it is a form of serving notice rather than requiring a signature?

I am going to see a solicitor for a free consultancy and hopefully he can explain in more detail. If its simply as explained in terms of if she dies I dont automatically get the house thats fine. But until a divorce agreement is settled I'm not signing anything that affects the equity in the property over.

  • joelochp
  • joelochp's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
23 Jul 10 #215702 by joelochp
Reply from joelochp
Does anyone know how long the separation order lasts, or is there a time limit on them?
Also is there any pre-conditions if living outside of UK? and is there any obstructions to passing on of my half of the property to my new wife and son, in case something should happen to me.
I am worried that they will be left with nothing, or have to fight for it through the courts.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.