A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

paying my share

  • Chill
  • Chill's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
21 Feb 08 #14682 by Chill
Topic started by Chill
I have been separated for a year. My wife still lives in our house. what sort of financial contribution should I be contributing to the household Expenses. We both work. At the moment it is split 2 thirds me, 1 third my wife. Is there any legal obligation on my part. Thanks for any help.

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
22 Feb 08 #14705 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
Hi Chill.

My sols informed me that my x2b had a "legal obligation to share the running costs of the house", ie bills and repairs and maintence. He suggested a 50/50 split, although my x has a considerabaly higher income that I do, and considerably lower outgoings. He did suggest that we should try to work out a fair agreement between ourselves, however when I mentioned this to my x, he threatened to move back in if I pursued this! I don't want him back in the house, making everyone miserable again, so have decided not to ask him for his share of the bills, therefore I pay 100% of all running costs, etc.
I assume you have your own household expenses? Prehaps you could tak to your wife and see if you can agree on a more mutally suitable arangement? If not, talk to your sols.
Hope this helps

  • Elle
  • Elle's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
22 Feb 08 #14718 by Elle
Reply from Elle
Hi Chill,
I was advised (and assessed) that as I couldnt financially contribute at time of separation, I could offer to take a reduction in the division of assets which I was happy to agree to. If its a joint mortgage, both parties have a legal obligation. I f there are children, both parents have legal obligations and responsibilities. You have to also consider your housing needs.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11