A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Dual liability

  • sandrotaylor
  • sandrotaylor's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
26 Feb 08 #15102 by sandrotaylor
Topic started by sandrotaylor
i have been informed by a solicitor that as out marital home is in both names , that my soon 2b ex should be paying something towards the mortgage on the property
i have paid this in full for the last 10 months with no help at all
hope someone can shed some light

  • Elle
  • Elle's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
26 Feb 08 #15110 by Elle
Reply from Elle
Hi Mark,
Its a joint mortgage....therefore....a joint responsibility to pay.
When I left FMH I was assessed as unable to pay and agreed to have this taken into account in the division of the "pot". My x has dragged the proceedings on for 8 years and I have left him paying the full £130 per month mortgage on account that I was starting over with the clothes I wore wen I left and had housing needs of my own.
There are many legal, financial, moral and personal debates/views and outcomes regards your issue.....if you post more info re kids, resources and such...there are many here who can help

  • sandrotaylor
  • sandrotaylor's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
26 Feb 08 #15111 by sandrotaylor
Reply from sandrotaylor
thanks elle , wish it was only 130 not £720 a month !! she actually takes in more money than me , with all disability , and incapacity etc , its just hard to decide what is the right thing

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.