A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

establishing residency

  • sheiladubai
  • sheiladubai's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
03 Mar 08 #15641 by sheiladubai
Topic started by sheiladubai
I plan to return to the family home in the UK with my 12 year old daughter having separated from her father.

We have lived in the Middle East for 3 years but need to return for the emotional support of family and friends.

I feel that my daughter needs to return to familiar surroundings to regain some stability.

Also I am not sure if the law has changed regarding this but when I married my husband 14 years ago I owned my own home and sold that to buy a home together. Will I entitled to my initial investment.

We also have offshore pensions together which will have to be frozen. Would my husband have to continue this for me as I gave up a job in Local Gvernment with a pension to start a new life with my husband in the Middle East.

The decision to end the marriage was not mine.

  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Mar 08 #15757 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut

you had a long marriage so who put what initial investment in is not a major factor.

You will very likely get 50% of the current assets. This includes everything that you or he own (including pensions) regardless of whose name those assets are held in.

It is all put in one big marital pot and shared out according to needs. If you are going to continue to care for your daughter then your needs will trump his...so you could even get more than 50 %.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.