A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Husbands Debts

  • Sank
  • Sank's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
05 Mar 08 #15841 by Sank
Topic started by Sank
My husband is not great at managing finances; he had a house repossessed before I met him together with CCJ's, during our marriage he ran up a debt that we cleared by increasing the mortgage and since he left in Aug 07 until Dec 07 he claimed to have a debt of £13k. In addition to this I recently received a court summons because he hadn't paid the Council Tax.

Moving forward it is intended that he pay a mortgage on the children and my future home (I currently earn just £80/month)and I am really worried that it is highly likely he may default on payments. Is there any way I can gain financial independence other that get a job which means my children of 4 and 8 see little of me during the working week?

  • IKNOWNOW's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
08 Mar 08 #16164 by IKNOWNOW
Reply from IKNOWNOW
Hi Sank,

You don't say whether you currently have a mortgaged property & if so whether this needs to be sold.

Financial independence in a way could be achieved by renting a property and claiming housing benefit etc until both children are fulltime at school and then getting a job during school hours.

You would never be able to enjoy a house if you were constantly worrying whether the mortgage was being paid.

I know where you are coming from.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Sarah

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.